The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items.
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Vanderbilt Operating Room consist of 39 Operative Suites, Ortho, Cardiac, Neuro, General, General/Urology, Robotics, (GGUR), and Hepatic, General, Thoracic/Trauma, Vascular-Heart/Neck, Otolaryngology, Plastics, ENT, (HGTV-HOPE). JOB CODE INFORMATION:
Job Code: 6606
Job Stream Description: Management
JOB SUMMARY: The Manager, Patient Care Services is a leadership role that has comprehensive operational authority and responsibility for designated clinical area(s). Their responsibilities include: fiscal accountability, maintaining quality and regulatory standards, maintaining a high level of patient/family centered care and service, patient and staff satisfaction, program development, managing and developing teams, and ensuring integration with the clinical enterprise. Provides feedback, coaching and mentoring to less experienced peers and other members of the health care team.
Collaborates to operationalize the mission, strategic plan, budgets, resource allocation, operational plans, and policies for the PCC, Hospitals and Vanderbilt Clinic.
Prepares annual operating and capital budgets following established guidelines and using benchmark data.
Develops and monitors the implementation of area specific quality plan linked to organizational goals.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LEADERSHIP - (INTERMEDIATE): - Motivates and inspires others to perform at a high level. Puts aside personal needs and considerations for the good of the team. Communicates in a positive and constructive way, demonstrating an enthusiasm for team and unit goals. Takes appropriate risks, showing and accepting personal accountability for actions and decisions. Gets others to share challenges and perform as a valuable member of the team and unit. Accomplishes results through influence, coaching, communication and commitment with minimal use of authority and control.
OPERATIONS PLANNING - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates ability to forecast complex resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work for a single functional area. Merges diverse points of view into a coalition with shared goals and objectives. Plans for and anticipates events outside of immediate responsibility. Identifies relevant stakeholders and gains their commitment. Anticipates problems and obstacles before they arise. Able to absorb changes to major assignments while maintaining a high level of performance. Competently handles multiple assignments and projects simultaneously. Sets priorities with a proper sense of urgency and importance. Develops creative ideas and takes innovative action to achieve planned goals and objectives.
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT - (INTERMEDIATE): - Successfully resolves conflicts and disciplinary problems. Provides counseling and career development planning to subordinates. Constructively gives timely positive and negative feedback, confronting individual performance problems in a professional and sensitive manner. Aware of the values, abilities and needs of others. Demonstrates the ability to create a positive work climate, establishing a feeling of partnership and empowering others. Has set, coached and assessed the assignment objectives of subordinates. Practices and rewards behaviors supportive of company values.
COMPLIANCE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and apply them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Able to interpret and explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear. Directs others in interpreting rules and regulations on the job and trains others in them.
BUSINESS RESULTS - (NOVICE): - Develops and implements appropriate measures for attaining well-defined business results and tracks progress in meeting goals and objectives. Continuously demonstrates a strong focus on quality in spite of pressures from competition, budgets, and time. Anticipates and responds effectively to customer needs. Sensitive to changes in the environment which may impact customer satisfaction, product quality, or profitability. Able to specify clear, precise personal objectives.
QUALITY MANAGEMENT - (NOVICE): - Has provided continuous analysis and evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to the process and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality and excellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current business process, product or service.
Organizational Impact: Directs activities to achieve operational plans with some near term effect on results of the department/area.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Identifies issues, gathers facts to resolve technical and operational problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies in-depth knowledge and skills of a professional/technical area and basic management knowledge to manage the work of the team.
Team Interaction: Leads a complex department with a focus on implementation. Typically executes on a short to medium term strategies.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (M2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (M2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (M2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (M2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (M2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.