The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items.
JOB SUMMARY: The Nurse Practitioner Fellow works in collaboration with and is an integral member of a interdisciplinary health care team. The NP fellow should have a basic foundation in evidence-based practice and demonstrate adequate medical and nursing knowledge, clinical/technical competence, sound clinical judgment, professional communication skills, timely and compliant documentation. The NP fellow may function in a variety of inpatient and outpatient care settings throughout the fellowship to optimize learning experiences. Focused learning experiences will be provided that enable the NP fellow to develop and refine essential specialty specific clinical and critical thinking skills promoting top of license practice. Immersion into an environment of collaborative interdisciplinary care will assure cost effective, quality, patient centered care. Additionally, an expanded incorporation of evidenced-based practice into care and utilization of improvement processes will be demonstrated by completion of a specialty-relevant project.
Assessment of Health Status:a. Performs and documents in the medical record a complete history and physical examination.b. Orders and collects data using appropriate assessment techniques, relevant supporting diagnostic information and diagnostic procedures where indicated.c. Assesses for risks associated with care including: medication side effects, immobility, impaired nutrition, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, immunocompetence, invasive interventions and diagnostic procedures.d. Participates in daily huddles or rounds with the interdisciplinary team as applicable and actively collaborates in formulating and evaluating ongoing plan of care across the continuum.
Diagnosis:a. Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care team in making accurate and diagnoses of acute and complex chronic conditions.b. Manages diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.c. Formulates differential diagnoses by priority.d. Diagnoses complications and identifies appropriate interventions.
Formulates Plan of Care:a. Identifies expected outcomes from diagnosis, formulates and documents a plan of care to address acute and complex, chronic health care needs.b. Utilizes evidenced-based practice guidelines or protocols in an individualized, dynamic plan of care that can be applied across the continuum.
Implements and modifies plan of care:a. Prescribes diagnostic strategies and therapeutic interventions both pharmacologic, non-pharmacologic and surgical (as needed) to achieve expected outcomes.b. Manages further diagnostic tests through ordering, performance and interpretation.c. May perform advanced procedures consistent with privileges and competency validation.
Communication and Collaboration:a. Maintains ongoing communication and collaboration with interdisciplinary health care team members.b. Facilitates communication with patient, family and staff to promote continuity of care across the inpatient and outpatient continuum of care.
Documentation:a. Documents key components of patient's progress via daily progress note, transfer, and discharge summary and/or clinic note, where applicable. b. Documentation will be timely and must meet compliance standards while accurately capturing patient acuity and/or complexity.
Professional Practice:a. Provides preceptor/mentoring, education and instruction of students and nursing staff as needed. b. Seeks opportunities for active engagement in research and the analysis of evidenced based practice.c. Attends Grand Rounds, AP Council meetings, faculty and unit meetings, MM & I presentations and other education opportunities as available.d. Maintains continuing education to maintain licensure and certification requirements.e. Actively participates in required professional development fellowship curriculum.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P1):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues' priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P1):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P1):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P1):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P1):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Internal Number: 2004787
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.